The PhD in Digital Humanities of the University of Genoa, in partnership with the University of Turin, aims at highlighting how the world of Humanities intertwines with the one of technology.
The PhD is characterised by a spirit of cooperation typical of DH: Humanities and IT Departments of the two involved Universities operate together and create a stimulating and creative work environment, made distinctive thanks to a combination of theoretical transdisciplinarity and digital practice. In this sense, PhD students are trained in order to manage dedicated IT tools for research in the Humanities, and also to reconfigure the fundamentals of study applied to the technologies and to the languages through which they are transmitted.
During the three-year PhD course, the graduate students will attend seminars, workshops, lessons, and conferences which will empower them to:
- gain a critical thinking about the application of technologies to Art and Culture linguistics, literary and onomastics research;
- create multimedia and online products;
- design immersive and multimedia systems for Art, Languages and Culture;
- use technologies in the educational field and analyse learning and fruition paradigms;
- manage technological tools and environments for scientific research and divulgation.
PhD students are required to participate to all the above-mentioned activities, with regular attendance. In the frame of cooperation and practice exchange of the DH scientific community, their personal effort in the divulgation of their research activities through constant updates on the website, blog, and social media of the University is also compulsory. In the spirit of the internationalization that characterises the PhD itself since the first editions, graduates are also invited to spend a period of time abroad at laboratories, research centres or twinning Universities.
Educational Paths & Curricula
The PhD in Digital Humanities offers four different curricula, two of which are organized by the University of Genoa, and two others by the University of Turin:
- ARTS AND MULTIMEDIA TECHNOLOGIES (GENOA)
- LANGUAGES, LITERATURE, FOREIGN CULTURES AND TECHNOLOGIES (TURIN)
- LANGUAGE, CULTURE AND DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES (GENOA)
- LINGUISTICS, APPLIED LINGUISTICS, ONOMASTICS (TURIN)